Redirect Site to Page
Many hosting providers provide a mechanism to redirect from one domain to another, but what if you want to redirect the domain to a page on another website?
If you want to see this in action, visit http://www.powertapping.com.
You want to redirect www.myothersite.com to www.mysite.com/otherpage.html
Create a subdomain on mysite.com (such as “myothersite.mysite.com”)
- Open cPanel.
- Find the Domains section.
- Click on Subdomains.
- Enter “myothersite” in the Subdomain field.
- Choose “mysite.com” from the Domains dropdown.
- Enter a document root (such as “/public_html/myothersite.com”) refer to any existing subdomains for the proper directory structure.
- Click Create.
On the subdomain (myothersite.mysite.com), create a .htaccess file in the domain root directory with the following lines:
- RewriteEngine On
- RewriteRule (.*) http://www.mysite.com/otherpage.html [R=301,L]
To test the set up, point your browser to http://othersite.mysite.com and confirm that it redirects to http://www.mysite.com/otherpage.html.
Use your hosting provider tools to redirect myothersite.com to myothersite.mysite.com
For example if your domain is managed by GoDaddy:
- Login to GoDaddy.
- Click on your name and choose Manage Domains from the Quick Links.
- Click on “myothersite.com” from the list of domains.
- Scroll down to Additional Settings and click on Manage DNS.
- Scroll down to Forwarding and click on the pencil icon.
- Select “http://” from the drop down.
- Enter “myothersite.mysite.com” in text box.
- Under Forward Type select Permanent (301).
- Under Settings select Forward only.
- Click Save.
IMPORTANT NOTE: It usually takes several hours for the changes in Step 3 to propogate throughout the domain name network. Periodically point your browser to http://www.myothersite.com to test whether it properly redirects to http://www.mysite.com/otherpage.html.
Send me reports of any errors or suggestions you have about my DNS pages.
This page is Copyright 2020 Tony Lewis <firstname.lastname@example.org>.